Every Mother’s Day I like to make a special treat to honor my Mom, even though I won’t be able to make it for her personally this Sunday but will whip up this easy peasy and delicious dessert the next time I’m home. And this Strawberry Rhubarb Dump Cake is a home run dessert. The kind my entire family devours in one sitting because it’s their kind of dessert, which is basically any dessert. 😀
When I was little, I wasn’t as fond of my Mom’s vegetable garden as I am today – only because I had to help plant and harvest all those potatoes, carrots, onions and so on, which interrupted important kid-things, like playing with my dolls. Today, I love all the amazing fruits and vegetables from her garden, especially now that she will enjoy her first crop of strawberries this season. Now I’d probably still grumble if I actually had to help pick the berries, because you know … once a kid always a kid.
You Make a lot of Strawberry Desserts for Mom’s Day
Yes, I do. #NotAshamed. Everyone in my family loves strawberries and everyone knows the family that eats strawberries together, stays together. I mean, I think that’s how it goes! 😉 Here’s really why I chose this dessert:
- Rhubarb and strawberries are two fruits that my Mom has in her garden, so they remind me of my Mom and home.
- My oldest nephew, Andy, does not like chocolate. Seriously. It’s weird but I still love him. Anyway, when I think of desserts to make for my family (and yes I know this is a Mother’s Day dessert but my Mom would be worried that Andy wouldn’t eat this and he is her first grandchild so you know what that means … spoiled rotten) I lean towards fruit desserts because everyone loves them. Also, I am a people pleaser, which may not always be a good thing but probably okay when it comes to making desserts.
- It’s super, super easy. And sometimes I am super, super lazy. Also I don’t believe a yummy dessert needs to be super difficult either.
I just love the combination of the tart rhubarb with the sweet strawberries. Add in that buttery, crisp topping and this is a fantastic dessert worthy of your Mom.
Strawberry Rhubarb Dump CakeServes 12-16
Slightly adapted from Noshing with the Nolands
- 3 cups roughly chopped rhubarb (4-5 stalks)
- 1 cup sliced strawberries
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 box Yellow Cake Mix
- 1 cup water
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- Ice Cream or Cool Whip, optional
- Coat 9×13 cake pan with non-stick spray. Set aside. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spread rhubarb and strawberries evenly over bottom of prepared cake pan.
- Evenly spread sugar over fruit, followed by yellow cake mix. NOTE: You just use the dry cake mix, straight out of the box. You do not need the additional cake ingredients on the box (i.e. eggs, water or oil).
- Pour water, then butter over cake mix. Spread evenly as possible. Do not mix everything together!
- Bake for 45 minutes. Some fruit should bubble through and the top should be light golden.
- Serve warm(ish) with ice cream or cool whip, if desired.
More Strawberry Dessert Options, Please.
In case you want to make a different strawberry dessert for your family, I got you covered. Maybe Strawberry Lush Dessert is more your family’s style. Or maybe Strawberry Cake with Strawberry Cream Cheese Frosting (my personal favorite) gets your belly rumbling. Or perhaps Strawberry Cheesecake Poke Cake (try saying that 3 times fast) or Strawberry Cream Pie caught your eye. All good choices. All featuring yummy nummy strawberries. All Mom approved.
Happy Mother’s Day!
I wish I could be there to celebrate with you, but I did think of you while I ate your Mother’s Day treat on your behalf, which sounds sorta wrong after typing it. Errr … sorry! But seriously and sincerely – thank you for everything you do for me and our family. We love and appreciate you so much!
Happy Mother’s Day to all Moms, whether a Mom to an actual human being or a fur baby or a goldfish or a well-tended plant. You rule!
Do you make a special treat for your Mom or does someone make a special treat for you on Mother’s Day?