In my mind, I am a craft goddess. Give me a hammer, two nails, some pretty paper, glue and glitter and I will create a masterpiece to rival anything Martha Stewart can make. In reality, I’d probably drive a nail into my finger, glue paper to my forehead and get glitter up my nose. Reality sometimes sucks. But still, I keep dreaming.
Last year I decided to DIY some Christmas gifts. I thought it would fun, economical and sentimental all at the same time and it was. Because it not only takes a village to raise a child but to also create a DIY gift. In other words, my parents lent a helping hand or two.
They are better at DIY than I am. I have other talents; I swear.
And yes, they helped make their own Christmas present.
No, I am not ashamed.
Okay, maybe a little ashamed.
But I still have all ten fingers, so there you go.
A Personalized, Homemade Photo Display Board
Now don’t be scared. This photo display board is gorgeous and quite simple to make, assuming you can actually wield a paintbrush. 😀
You Will Need
- Board (2x4x12 is what we used)
- Paint or stain
- Ornament hooks (you can get these at Michaels or Hobby Lobby)
- Upholstery tacks (you can get these at any craft store too)
- Card stock paper
- My dad used a piece of scrap lumber he had. If you don’t have any scrap lumber, you can have the lumber or hardware store cut a piece of wood to your size specifications.
- We (and by we, I mean my Dad) routed the board to give it smooth, rounded corners, which is completely optional. Next, paint or stain the board and let it completely dry. We did two coats of paint, which you may or may not need to do.
- Use needle-nose pliers to form a small loop or eye at one end of the ornament hook to attach with a screw to the back of the wood. See picture below.
- With a small drill bit, drill 4 small pilot holes in the back of the board. Then use a screwdriver and screw to secure ornament hook to board. See picture below.
- Print saying of your choice on card stock. Cut to fit board. Use upholstery tacks to hold into place.
- Wrap board in ribbon of your choice and tie into a nice bow. (My Mom did mine because my bow-tie making skills are not good).
- Place pictures in ornament hooks.
I’ve included a few, simple printables that you are welcome to use in your project. Whether you use one of my free printables or create your own, make sure you first figure out the size of your printable to guide the size of your board.
Click on the printable title to download PDF.
The Finished Gift
Voila. A beautiful photo display board you made with your own two hands. Unless it is from me, then my parents helped make it. 😀
Rebecca Jo says
This is FANTASTIC!!!!!
Such a cute way to hold Christmas cards in a pretty fashion too – decorate the base all red & green.
It would be a great Christmas card holder! Paint it red and put tinsel around it, so much fun!
I’ve never seen a photo holder like this! This is really cool! I am somewhat crafty with scrapbooks or photo things or painting projects, but I tend to shy away from hammer and nail crafts (unless K is around to do all the manual labor…. ha).
I shy away from all craft projects because they tend to be epic failures, unless someone truly crafty is by my side. 😀
That is so awesome Tanya!!! 🙂
Laurie @thefrugalfarmer says
SO gorgeous!!!! I think even my un-crafty hands might be able to work that up. Thanks for sharing!
Thank you, Laurie!! If I can do it (well, I had a little, lots, of help), you can too!