Shaving cream is one of those things that you really don’t pay much attention to until it’s gone. And you need to shave your legs. Then you pay attention. 😀 Now imagine being cheap and not wanting to be inconvenienced with driving to the store to pick some up. What do you do? You do what any logical gal would do and find yourself on Pinterest searching for homemade shaving cream alternatives. Or maybe that’s just me.
And lo and behold, you find a recipe and have all the ingredients. Oh happy day!
Or more like happy hair-free legs and pits.
Seriously, I made this in a pinch and fell in love with it. Now, I make it all the time.
Why Make Shaving Gel Yourself Versus Buying It?
Because you can. Seriously. It’s completely up to you. Love your shaving cream, then keep on buying it. Want more control over the ingredients, then DIY shaving gel is the way to go.
A lot of people don’t like fussing with DIY because it seems time-consuming. To be fair, some DIY beauty products are time-consuming. This is not one of those products. This takes two minutes to dump everything together and pour into a jar or a pump dispenser.
Now this isn’t the same shaving cream you get from a can that comes out like whipped cream. It doesn’t suds up and is fairly runny, but it leaves my skin so soft which is a big deal to me because I’m pretty sure that I’m part alligator. 😀 After using it most of the summer, I’ve noticed that I use less and less lotion on my legs, which makes sense since coconut oil and aloe vera gel are great for dry skin.
Coconut Aloe Vera Shaving Gel
Whip up a luxurious shaving gel with four simple ingredients.
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 3/4 cup aloe vera gel
- 1 tsp vitamin E oil (or one vitamin E capsule)
- 10-15 drops your favorite essential oil (optional)
- If your coconut is hard, microwave for 30 seconds in medium bowl or heat over a double broiler until in liquid form.
- Add aloe vera gel to coconut oil, stir until well-combined.
- Stir in vitamin E oil. If using a capsule, poke a hole in the pill and empty the oil into the bowl. Note: if this something you don’t have readily available, it’s up to you whether to include it.
- Optional: Add 10-15 drops of your favorite essential oil. This is mainly for scent. I opted to skip this because I liked the smell of coconut.
- Store shaving gel in an airtight container. I used a plastic pump bottle but you can use a jar or whatever container you prefer.
- Shake well before each use.
- Be sure to rinse your blades well after each use to fully remove any lingering gel to help them last longer.
- I did not experience any issues with the coconut oil clogging drains but I also live in a warm climate year-round.
- You can turn this into a lotion with an emulsifier blender.
- You can also add some Castille soap to turn it into a combo body wash/shaving gel. Now you’ll also get some suds.
Recipe from Brew My Tea.
She’s Got Nice, Smooth and Silky-Soft Legs
Yes, I do. My gams aren’t rock star ready … yet but they are nice and smooth. I highly recommend this shaving gel if you want a natural and simple shaving gel that is good for your skin. This would also be idea for those who have sensitive skin and struggle with the perfumes used in a lot of beauty products.